Friday, June 12, 2009

The Last Knight

Summary: Need a Hero?

You've got one in Sir Michael Sevenson.

Although there hasn't been a knight errant in over two hundred years, this young noble has decided to revive the trade. He's found himself a reluctant partner in Fisk, a clever rogue who has been given the choice of serving as Michael's squire or going to jail for a very long time. Now Michael and Fisk are on a quest to right wrongs, protect the innocent, and make the world a happier place.
It's not going to be easy. On their first attempt at rescuing a damsel in distress, they break a lady out of a tower, only to discover she was there for good reason: awaiting trial for poisoning her husband. Now the would-be heroes must find Lady Ceciel and return her to justice or be condemned themselves. (summary taken from Harperteens.com)

Review: Hilari Bell is one of my favorite authors, probably my favorite author. She is the one author I can say I’ve read most of her books and enjoyed them enough to read a second time through or more. Thus when I found The Last Knight in my school library I was very enthusiastic to pick it up and read it.

I did enjoy this book. It wasn’t great, though. The book was enjoyable and interesting enough to keep me reading—but not interesting enough that I couldn’t put it down. It was a good, fun, light read. I loved the characters, as I always do in Bell’s books, Fisk made me laugh and Michael was so sweet and naïve. They were the perfect pair. The book was fun and there is nothing I can really critique on it. Well except for a few times when I was left a bit confused about the characters and plot innuendos (though it is only the first in the series...).

So an enjoyable read, not amazing.

Rating: 4.5/5 I do recommend it highly to anyone of all ages, I can’t give it a five out of five because it doesn’t jump out at me really.

Reviews from the Pros:

“This well-created fantasy is a great read.”-School Library Journal

“The humorous dialogue and the friendship that develops will make this magical medieval mystery a fun read.” –Kirkus Reviews

“A remarkable writer.”-Orson Scott Card

No comments: