Saturday, April 24, 2010

Player's Ruse

Summary: Sir Michael Sevenson and his squire, Fisk, were just beginning to enjoy the quiet life. They really should have known better. When Lady Rosamund runs away from home to marry a traveling player, former knight errant Michael makes a noble promise to help the object of his unrequited love. The quest takes out would-be heroes to the coastal town of Huckerston, where savage sea pirates called wreckers terrorize the coast. With the help of a reluctant Fisk, Michael plans on catching the wreckers and winning back his lady; but when mysterious murders and dangerous accidents threaten the town and its players, love might be the least of his problems...

Review: Okay, I am going to be very very sad if this is the last book in the Knight and Rogue series! I seriously think that these books have surpassed Goblin Wood in my favorite books. Michael and Fisk are amazing characters, my favorite out of any books I’ve ever read. Fisk is cynical and, though he’d never admit it, a giant softie and it is truly touching to see how he cares for Michael. Michael is noble, valiant, and honest and it is interesting to see how he becomes a little less pure as he learns his lessons as an unredeemed man, and spends more time with Fisk. I truly love these characters. They are hilarious and touching at the same time.

The plot is always good clean fun even if it may deal with some dark stuff like murders. I suppose that everyone may think I’m childish because truly Hilari Bell’s books are for ages 10 & up, but I am 18 and truly want to own as many Hilari Bell books as I can get my hands on including this series.

Okay the honest review here. Charcters=AMAZINGLY FANTABULOUS. Even the villains are fun and ooooh I was so excited when (SPOILER!!!) Jack showed up. I had just been wondering in my head what was so special about him and he showed up! I literally sat straight up in my bed at midnight and was like YES! (END SPOILER!) The plot moved quickly and really, I can never figure these mysteries out! I always try to outwit the characters and figure out what will happen, but in these books I never know and I’m never right. I am with the characters as they attempt to figure out these baffling and urgent problems.

I have nothing but praise for these books and Hilari Bell. I highly recommend this series to anyone who loves a good clean adventure. I’ve said it again and I’ll say it now, it’s books like these that make reading for fun....actually fun!

Rating: 5/5 of course. It may not be life-changing or take on deep dark themes, but I can’t give anything that gives me this much joy to read less than a 5.

Reviews from the pros:

“A blend of fantasy, adventure, and mystery, with a large cast of characters and a fast-paced plot, this installment will appeal most to fans of the previous titles.”—School Library Journal

“The engaging first-person narrative alternates, chapter by chapter, between Michael, who stalwartly pursues the outmoded profession of knight errantry, and his squire, Fisk, who sees life from a more ironic perspective. The latest adventure from the always-entertaining Knight and Rogue series.”-Booklist

1 comment:

Jill said...

I had to laugh at your comment about being thought of as childish because you like these books. I love them, and I'm in my 40s! Sounds like I need to read Goblin Wood, since we both love this series and it's one of your favorites.