Thursday, July 1, 2010

Max

Summary: Someone—or something---is decimating ships and sea life off Hawaii’s coast, and Max and her flock find themselves sucked into the Navy’s top-secret investigation of the catastrophe. Their objective: Rescue Max’s activist mom from a wicked subterranean enemy. The hitch: They must dive deep into dark waters, where gruesome evil dwells…and for high-flying Maximum Ride, could there be anything more terrifying than being trapped in the great abyss?

Review: So, I have come to the conclusion that I have outgrown Maximum Ride books. It was good, but there were points where it was actually kind of painful to read. I would roll my eyes at the gushy love scenes between Max and Fang. They were so cheesy, I wanted to gag. Angel was annoying and diabolical, and I didn’t like her character at all. I still love Gazzy and Iggy. The idea that the bird kids are trying to save the world environmentally still kind of irks me.

The book is meant for 4th-7th graders and it is probably a really great book for that age group. It helps inform them about the environmental issues with cool superheroes that are kids just like them. Not the best book to read at 18. I kind of still want to read Fang, but I won’t be spending any money on buying it, that’s for sure. I will have to reread the Maximum Ride books to see if I have truly outgrown them, or if the series just went way down hill.

This was an improvement on the last one, that’s for sure.

Rating: 3/5

Reviews from the Pros:

“A masterpiece!”-Avi Arad, executive producer of Iron Man and Spider-man

“Max narrates with a precocious, snarky voice, but makes it relatively easy to jump into her complicated tale midstream. Not surprisingly, the open-ended conclusion begs for a follow-up; it's also little wonder that a movie franchise is in the works.”-Publisher’s Weekly

No comments: