Monday, August 4, 2008

Breaking Dawn

So I just finished Breaking Dawn, yes I’m a bit of a slower reader but…excuse my language, oh my fucking God!

Note: If you haven’t finished Breaking Dawn yet I wouldn’t bother reading. I’m horrible at keeping plot secrets.

Summary: I warned you. Here comes the plot summary. Bella and Edward get married and all is well, Jacob is even back! After a small confrontation at their wedding, Bella and Edward head off to a secluded isle and get busy. Bella, against all odds, ends up pregnant. The half-vampire growing inside of her nearly kills her as it grows. Bella won’t survive the birth, that’s what everyone is saying. She does, she becomes a vampire and gets good control on it. She even has a power! Basically, the Voulturi finds out about the baby and brings the whole she-bang to kill the Cullens. Will they escape? Find out for yourself, I’ve given so much away and I’ve barely scratched the surface of this novel!

My Opinion: The book felt to me just like really well-written fanfiction, but I couldn’t put it down! The plot just seemed a bit unrealistic to me, [SPOILER!] Bella getting pregnant? Um, excuse me? What happened to no vampire fluids? That confuses me, but Stephenie did write it pretty believably. I just thought that whole thing was a huge risk on Stephenie’s part and I’m sure she’s made a few skeptical Twilighters a little mad. Okay, so people didn’t like Jacob’s point of view. I loved it. I agree that putting it in Jacob’s view was quite out of the ordinary, as all the previous books have been in Bella’s point of view. Makes no sense to switch it up right at the end, however, I absolutely adore Jacob even more now. I thought his narrating was so much better than Bella’s, his character was very defined. He was funny, edgy, angsty, and just plainly Jacob. I loved the transformation he made after he imprinted on Reneesme. Ah, alright another thing. Reneesme…this name made me believe my fanfiction theory more prominent. How many times has a writer been told really unique names set off the mary-sue haters? Most people don’t combine names, and oh gosh! Jacob imprinting on Reneesme, okay that made me go WTF?! That seemed a bit cliché to me, but again I didn’t mind it. This is my theory on it, as a serious reviewer I feel like this book isn’t all that good from a plot perspective. As a reader, I absolutely loved it. She gave everyone basically what they wanted: Bella a vampire, Jacob moving on, The Cullens finally giving the Voulturi a good swift kick to their pride. [My SPOILER is still continuing]

The Voulturi on this, that was written very believably. I couldn’t keep track of all the ‘witnesses’ on the Cullens’ side but I did fall in love with Benjamin and Garrett. They were just so cool, and they stuck out to me. All the different covens coming together was certainly awesome. Hm what other aspects have I not addressed? Ah, Bella’s power. The protection, I must admit I was happy with that. I was glad she didn’t have the whole kick-ass stuff, protection suited her well. It was a bit convenient that there were barely any holes in her shield, but that’s the way it works, I suppose. [SPOILER OVER] All in all: The Twilight Saga went out with a bang!

Rating: 3/5 I couldn’t give it a 5 because of my fanfiction senses kept going off but it was very well-written [you can see how much Stephenie Meyer has improved as a writer] and I seriously couldn’t put it down.

Reviews from the Pros: Well, it’s a bit early. All I could find was mostly teenagers writing them, though they often held the same thoughts my review did.

Happy Reading! Pick it up, you won’t be able to put it down! (Even if it is a clear indulgence book).

-She Who Reads A Lot

No comments: