Thursday, January 22, 2009

Freeing Keiko

Note: Okay so I had to read this book for AP English. She made us read a nonfiction book of our choice and we had to write a book review for it. So basically what I'm going to do is post the review I wrote for my English Assignment! Here it is: If you grew up in the 1990s you probably knew about the animal that would become the most famous whale in the world: Keiko. This lovable killer whale with his flopped over fin was treasured by children all over the world for his part in Free Willy. In Freeing Keiko the Journey of a Killer Whale from Free Willy to the Wild, Kenneth Brower shares the amazing journey of Keiko.

Brower demonstrates an extensive knowledge for all aspects of Keiko’s journey and leaves no room for questions. While he tells the tale of this brilliant whale, who loved “messing with the minds of his trainers”, Brower also recounts the tale of the battles fought to bring Keiko to freedom. Brower’s tone in this recounting can border on cynical and crude (he denounces the Free Willy movie as “nonsense”) but he finds the crucial balance between informative detail, humor, and irony that makes this book so compelling and powerful. The recounting of this unbelievable creature and the amazing people who worked with him is a life-changing read.

This is my little added part! Rating: 5/5 I really loved this book. It surprised me, I didn't expect it to be as interesting as it was!

Yeah anyways hopefully this can tide you over till I get through Inkdeath ^^;; heh. Happy reading!
~She Who Reads A Lot

No comments: